Enefit Green is constructing its first wind farm in Finland, Tolpanvaara
Enefit Green, one of the leading and most versatile renewable energy producers in the Baltic Sea, made an investment decision to build a wind farm in Tolpanvaara. The wind farm, that will be completed by the end of 2023, is the company's first investment in Finland.
According to Aavo Kärmas, Chairman of the Management Board of Enefit Green, the construction of the wind farm in Finland is part of the company's growth plan. “We have promised to implement renewable energy development projects in countries from Finland to Poland. The investment decision of the Tolpanvaara Wind Farm marks another step in increasing the production of green electricity. The output of the new wind farm will provide carbon-free electricity to consumers in neighboring countries and will help stabilize the local electricity prices, also,” Kärmas commented.
The total investment required for the construction of the wind farm amounts to 82.9 million euros.
Kärmas added that 60 percent of the production of the Tolpanvaara wind farm in the first seven years is covered by a long-term electricity sales contract. "Eesti Energia's business customers are interested in long-term contracts and want to operate in an environmentally friendly manner and at the same time fix their electricity purchasing conditions long term," said Kärmas.
A wind farm construction contract will be entered into with the procurement-winning construction company in the near future. The wind turbines will be manufactured by Nordex, a company with long-term and global experience. Enefit Green carried out a procurement to find both contractors.
Construction activities at the Tolpanvaara Wind Farm will begin in the first quarter of 2022, and the park is scheduled to be operational by the end of 2023 at the latest.
Enefit Green acquired the Tolpanvaara Wind Farm development project from its previous owner Metsähallitus, the manager of the Finnish state forest, in 2020.
In addition to Tolpanvaara, Enefit Green has made investment decisions this year for two more wind farms to be built in Lithuania with a total capacity of 118 megawatts.
In 2021, Enefit Green decided to invest a total of 227.9 million euros in wind farms. Upon completion of these wind farms, the company's total production capacity will be 727 megawatts.
Enefit Green has set a goal to increase its production capacity 2.3-fold to 1,100 megawatts by 2025.
- Enefit Green currently produces renewable energy in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland.
- In four countries, the company owns a total of 22 wind farms, 38 solar power plants, 4 combined heat and power plants, a pellet plant, and a hydroelectric power plant.
- The current electricity generation capacity is 456 megawatts, and the heat generation capacity is 81 megawatts.
- In 2020, Enefit Green produced a total of 1.35 terawatt-hours (TWh) of electricity in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. Such an amount of electricity could cover the entire two-month electricity demand of Estonia.
- In 2021, Enefit Green made three wind farms investment decisions - for the Šilale II, Akmene and Tolpanvaara wind farms, with a total capacity of 190 megawatts. The total volume of these investments is near 228 million euros.